Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Recipe review: Shepherd's pie

I don't remember the last time I had shepherd's pie...if ever.

We saw it a couple times on the Food Network and I decided to give it a try. How could my husband not like ground meat and potatoes? I didn't follow a recipe and just threw it together, which worked out quite well. I attempted to write the recipe below, but you really can't mess it up...just make it however you want!

Rating: 8

1.5 pounds ground meat
2 small white onions
1 lb. mashed potatoes
1.5 c. mixed veggies
salt and pepper
onion powder
1 T. worcestershire
Grated cheese (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Brown meat and onion, stir in mixed vegetables, salt, pepper, onion power and worcestershire. Layer mixture into the bottom of a casserole dish and top with mashed potatoes. Heat on 350 for 15 minutes, top with grated cheese and place under broiler for 5 minutes (or until crisp on top).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gotta love shepards pie. My gramma makes it with a wild rice and spicy sausage stuffing instead of ground beef. It's a minnesota/italian version of shepherds pie.

Jess said...

that sounds good! do you have a recipe? how is miss lola?

Anonymous said...

I don't have it. It was my great grandmother's recipe and the only person who makes it now is my Aunt Julie who refuses to tell us what's in it. I'm like...I"M FAMILY! GIVE ME THE EFFING FAMILY SECRET ALREADY!! HA...

It will probably get passed to Julie's first daughter Crystal and I'll never really know.

Miss Lola is smashingly delicious! She's sleeping in the bjorn right now. The boob juice knocked her out cold. ;) "Milk Drunk" is what I call this condition. I love it when babies are milk drunk.

Anonymous said...

I love shepherd's pie. It was a staple on the public school lunch line menu in Philly. When I am going to be invited over for some?