Monday, December 3, 2007

Recipe review: Fennel crusted pork loin with roasted potatoes and pears

As an ode to Jr., I wanted to post a review of my latest meal. Being a mother, I don't "cook" much, unless you consider grilled cheese and soup to be "cooking". Katie decided to be coopertive tonight and I was actually able to mince garlic and cut vegetables while she sat in her Boppy, on the kitchen table. It was nice to cook again and I hope to do it again soon! I'd especially love to bake some of the recipes that I pull out of magazines...but I don't know if she's ready for that!

The fennel crusted pork loin came out beautifully and was a nice meal for the holiday season, due to the fennel seeds and pears. My husband was a fan because I increased the garlic to 3 cloves and he loves anything with garlic. Unfortunately, I only had 2 pears, but I think using the recommended 3 pears would have made it even better.

Rating: 8 out of 10Recipe:
1 T. fennel seeds 2 cloves garlic, minced
4 T. olive oil salt and pepper
2 red onions, quartered 2 lbs. boneless pork loin
3 firm pears, quartered 1 lb. quartered potatoes
Heat oven to 400 F. Using the bottom of a heavy pan, crush the fennel seeds (I used a mortar and pestle). In a small bowl, mix the seeds, garlic, 2 T. oil, 1 t. salt and 1/4 t. pepper. Rub mixture over pork and put into a roasting pan. In a bowl, mix the onions, potatoes, pears, 1 t. salt, 1/4 t. pepper and remaining oil. Scatter around the pork and roast until cooking through (mine took 60 minutes for a 2.3 pound roast). Let pork rest 5-10 minutes before slicing.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is a baby blog, not a personal blog.

Unknown said...

it is her blog and it is whatever she wants it to be. stop trolling and go back to mikerules.net

Anonymous said...

you're wrong.

Jess said...

You make rules for your site, I'll make them for mine. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

YUMMY!!! During the winter months, i make a recipe called "fish and fennel". It doesn't have the seeds, but it has the actuall fennel bulb. I love that anise taste in warm comfort food!

Thanks for posting the recipe. My hubby LOVES pork and I love pears! Sounds totally yummy!!!

Anonymous said...

oh...just to add my two cents in the petty argument above (i love butting in), this is about your adventures as a first time mom which encompases everything domestic.

Experiences while ruling as the head goddess of your domain should also be included. Besides, I got a yummy sounding recipe out of the deal... YEY!

Jess said...

Thank you! My brother thinks that he makes the rules for everyone. Cooking is part of being a mother, so I figured it was OK!

Anonymous said...

No bickering within the familia! The girl is the Queen and the boy is the King, and forever shall that be. You both rule in my eyes :)