Friday, March 27, 2009

18 month milestones

Katie recently turned 18 months and so that meant another trip to Dr. Eng Tow! The appointment went well and we were told that Katie has no signs of autism (which I already knew!).

Below are her new stats:
Height: 33 inches (95 percentile)
Weight: 24 pounds, 9 oz. (50 percentile)
Head: 19 inches (85 percentile)

The doctor also asked if she's been fussy lately, which was quite a coincidence because she's been very grumpy over the past week. We thought it was just a new toddler stage, as we had our first experience having to leave a restaurant because of her attitude. We told the doctor that she had been grumpy and she said it was probably because she has an ear infection! Of course, Katie showed no other signs (fever, ear pulling), but the doctor could see it when she looked into her ear drum. I felt bad for Katie, but at least she made it 18 months without any ear infection or needing to be on any medications. We have her on Amoxicillin for the next 10 days and luckily she is taking it like a champ!

I'm thinking of starting potty training soon and have been busy learning all about it. If any experienced moms want to give me some tips, that would be great!

Other than that, there is not much else to report. I'm officially in my 2nd trimester now and hope that the sickness goes away soon! 189 days to go!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Here is my take on potty training. I started trying to potty train Ethan a couple of months before he turned two and it started out great. I started out focusing on trying to go "poopy" in the toilet and we even went a whole week where he only had one accident, but then, I have no clue why, he decided he wasn't interested in potty training and became afraid to sit on the potty chair. He is now 2 and 2 months, and we are kind of starting again, but the big thing, I think, is that kids are going to do it when they want to and it doesn't help to force them. That said, I did read an article talking about how 18 months-2 years is a great age to try because your kids want to please you. Good luck and I hope you have better luck than I have.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I don't know you, but clicked your link from a friend's blog and just happened to read this. I swear I am not a stalker, I thought your name sounded familiar though. And hey, we go to see Eng Tow and love her:)
I potty trained my daughter at 19 months, and my son right at 2. My 19 month old was just that- eager to please!! She was awesome. I just consistently sat her on the potty every hour or so, and rewarded her every time she peed. Song and dance, an M&M, and in just a few days she was peeing with every sit down! When I knew she understood what the potty was for, I put her right in underwear. I am not a fan of pull-ups as most kids don't care if they pee in them. She got it right away, and less than a month she was totally trained, telling me when she had to go and everything. If she doesn't get the "pee when seated" concept yet, wait a month or two and revisit it! It helps to keep her extra hydrated so she actually has to pee:)

Good luck! I am in the vast minority to PT young, but I get really over diapers and big stinky poo!!