Thursday, January 22, 2009

What is your occupation?

Yesterday morning, I was home alone with Katie and Amber. For those that didn't know, I was watching the dog while my parents were in Rome (poor them). There was a knock at the door and I assumed it was a package that was supposed to arrive today. Note: I am an online shopping addict.

I ran to the door only to find an investigator that wanted to interview me because my neighbor was getting a clearance. I've done probably 5 of these interviews, so I know what they are about but warned her that I had a dog (that I was trying to push back from the door) and a baby in the house. Another note: I still call Katie a baby!

She didnt' seem to mind and came in to interview me. She asked all the normal questions and then said "For your occupation, do you want me to put Full Time Mother?"!?!?! I went on to tell her that I really do have a career and job title. But I really wanted to say that even if you go to work, you are still a Full Time Mother, in my opinion. Yes, going to work is a little bit of a break, but I'm still making doctor appointments, planning meals, etc.

YES...I am a Full Time Mother/Finance Manager/MBA student/dog sitter.

So, what is your occupation? :)


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling as a wife, mother, sister, daughter, aunt, cousin, dog owner, friend, full-time Contract Administrator, homeowner, and grandmother (but that is the best job, ranked just under mother). Then, along with those titles throughout comes the other obvious 'mini-titles' such as chauffeur, cook, maid service, nurse, housekeeper, vet, landscaper/lawnmower, painter, plumber, electrician, babysitter, pet sitter, travel agent, traveler and packer, laundress, personal shopper, housewife, teacher, student, chef, organizer, psychologist, daycare provider, computer operator, family CEO, janitor, facilities operator, snow shoveler, waitress, accountant, family counselor, entertainer, short-order cook, cake decorator, and admin. But... what doesn't kill you will make you stronger. The best 'paycheck' of all is seeing the good job you've done and being proud you've raised great kids. Of course the work of raising a spouse never ends, probably going straight through beyond retirement I'm guessing.

Jess said...

Oh, you win the prize! I've heard that being a Grandma is better than being a mom because you can give them back, when you are done. As if Katie didn't know she was special already!!!

Melissa said...

You forgot to add party planner, interior designer, and home "merchandiser" to your list. Although being a home "merchandiser" is pretty fun so I don't mind that one.

Hope you had fun in Rome.