Monday, December 8, 2008

Car seats - rear vs. forward facing

For those of you with car seats, you know that rear facing can be a pain when trying to soothe a crying child...or retrieve a toy, which is often the case when Katie flings them around the back seat.

It is mandatory to have the car seat rear facing up to 1 year of age, but there is a huge movement towards keeping children rear facing for as long as possible. As my pediatrician to us, it is easier to fix broken legs (if they jam into the rear seat) than a broken spine (which often happens when a child is forward facing).

I received the below site today that has a video depicting crash tests in both scenarios. I'm not saying what is right or wrong (ok, maybe I am), but just wanted everyone to be informed.
http://www.joelsjourney.org/curriculum.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am totally agree with you.!! It is really important to have the car seat rear facing up to 1 year of age.