Sunday, January 6, 2008

Daycare day

Last Thursday, the dreaded day came...Katie's first day of daycare. We got up at 6am, not knowing how our morning routine would work. It all went smoothly and we left the house by 7:15 (getting out your clothes the night before is key). I was in charge of the drop off, while Andrew was going to pick her up. I soon realized that I had the worst part of the deal. We got to the daycare house, I took her inside and started to tear up as soon as she smiled at me. She sat in her carseat and had no idea that I was about to leave for the next 8 hours. It was awful. I told myself I wouldn't cry, but that got thrown out the window.

My work day went so slowly because I was constantly wondering how and what she was doing. I imagined her screaming while older kids poked her in the eye. Were they feeding her? Was she in her carseat all day? I finally got an email around 1pm from our daycare provider, saying that Katie was doing fine and drank all her bottles to the last drop. When Andrew picked her up, she was asleep and sitting next to the other baby (also named Catie...with a C)!

Even though it was hard, I know it is best for me to be at work. I need time out of the house and we can provide more for Katie, if I'm working. I am lucky that my boss is letting me work from home 2x/week. It saves us daycare costs and also lets Katie spend more time with us.

Next week, Katie will go to daycare for 3 days. I hope she does well...I'm still worried!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

;( It will get better. Just remember, kids need stability and presence of their parents. She's too young to know what you guys do or don't have - but she's old enough to know that you love her and you're doing your best to be there for her when you can. Kids are more flexible then people realize. There will be days that she's sad when you drop her off, but that makes coming home to you even more sweet. Besides, every mommy need some time out of the house to themselves, and if work is how that time is found, then so be it.

Anonymous said...

I am doing my first daycare day tomorow so i can go to work. my daughter, paige, is 14 months old and she is my little girl. she is attached to my hip and she loves her mommy. i am so terrified! its actually not daycare, but its a friend of the family who is looking after her she has 4 kids and 2 of which are at home and the other 2 are at school durring the day. im not sure how im going to deal with it!!! its so sad to think of leaving her alone and her crying for her mommy when im not there! ahhhh! but coming home to her will be juast as sweet and shess be even happier then she usually is to see her mommy :) i love my little snowflake!!